Sydney's Historic Rocks District
Peggy Samson is shocked to find a body slumped in a dark corner at the bottom of Mission Steps!
Who killed this man?....and with what did he commit this heinous crime?
Add the excitement of solving a murder mystery to your outdoor adventure, with our self-guided puzzle-based walking trail.
No tour provides a sense of Sydney’s historic roots like a wander through the ‘Rocks’ area, named due to the large sandstone bluff on which it is built, from which the first Sydney stone was mined.
Nestled to the west of Sydney Cove, it is an enchanting area of old streets, narrow passages, hidden corners and historical buildings.
This fun 60-90min walk will give you a taste of life in the 1800s; a time of new beginnings, exploration and excitement but also a time of squalor, poor health standards, gang rivalry and prostitution.
As you walk around you will discover a mix of old and new Sydney, learn interesting facts about Sydney’s original settlement and of course, find clues to help solve your murder mystery!
This trail is possible for hardy strollers subject to understanding that there are a number of narrow steps and cobbled paths. For this reason it is not suitable for wheelchairs as in a few areas no alternative slope is available. Dogs are allowed in the Rocks.
Please note: the smaller alleys on this trail are closed at night by their owners, to protect our heritage from being spoilt by ‘late night antics’! This trail should be available to you however from 8am –8pm.
How to get there..
The trail starts and ends on the corner of George St and Albert St, on the western corner of Circular Quay. with options for a travel by bus, ferry or train. Alternatively Wynyard station is close. Transport info is available from TransportNSW (google Sydney Transport to easily locate).
Additional options to make more of day out….
- Museum of Contemporary Art: $$ (see www.mca.com.au for details, openings and costs)
- Susannah Place Living Museum: Free (info via www.sydneylivingmuseums.com.au)
- Rocks Markets: Free Arts, Craft & Australiana 10-5pm Sat-Sun and Foodie Mkt 10-3pm Fri. (Google ‘Rocks Markets’ for current info and timings)
- Rocks Discovery Museum: Free 10-5pm daily located in Kendall St.
- Another PuzzleTrail: For the really energetic, try another close-by trail, like the ‘Sydney Harbour Bridge’, ‘Historic Rocks’ or ‘Botanic Gardens’ trails
Let’s get PuzzleTrailing!
- Your downloaded booklet provides all the directions needed to complete the trail and find all the clues. Miss one? Simply retrace your steps or if really stuck follow the SMS instructions in your booklet to get some hints!
- Each clue will allow you to eliminate a suspect or weapon. Cross them off on the back page as you go, until the murderer and remaining implement are finally revealed!
Last word……. Remember “Slip, Slop, Slap” (Google that if needed!) ...and have lots of fun!!