Royal Botanic Gardens: Mrs Macquarie's Chair
A tip off about a suspicious canister set to go off at midnight... A deadly gas that could destroy the Botanic Gardens... Only you can solve the clues to disarm the device!
- This trail is one of two Botanic Gardens circular PuzzleTrails, focusing on the northern end
- Your PuzzleTrail starts and ends at the Botanic Garden's "Opera House Gate" (a smaller gate to the right of the main QEII Gate) near the Sydney Opera House.
- It takes you from the Opera House, via stunning harbour views to the historic Mrs. Macquarie's Chair, an exposed sandstone rock cut into the shape of a bench, hand carved by convicts from sandstone in 1810 for Governor Macquarie's wife Elizabeth.
- Pass under limbs of giant fig trees.
- Uncover statues in the exotic Oriental Gardens.
- Search for the eels under massive leaves in the Lily Pond!
- Feel the history at Fleet Steps.
- For added amusement, search for clues, cracking the secret code and thwarting a dastardly plot!!
- Expansive lawns (which you are encouraged to walk on!) great harbour views and many shady trees mean you can pick your own special spot for a picnic or even take a ball or Frisbee! Just don’t feed the birds, or you might have more lunch guests than desired!
- Closest train/ferry/bus stop is Circular Quay with a 5 min walk along Bennelong to the Opera House. It is also walkable from Wynyard Train station. (see https://transportnsw.info/ for timetables)
- There are plenty of city carparks (google Wilson Parking for online deals)
- Sydney CBD also has free street parking on Sundays.
- Wheelchairs and strollers are welcome, there are a few grassy banks to navigate and a few spot where a slope is offered as an alternative to steps
- Garden rules prohibit bringing in ‘non-service’ animals
- Further info on RBG opening times, maps and events on the day, see www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au
- Why not also explore the Sydney Opera House: Entry to the foyer is free, or you can choose an official tours from their booking office.
- Remember “Slip, Slop, Slap” ...and have lots of fun!!