Royal Botanic Gardens: Mrs Macquarie's Chair
Mr Green was shocked! He'd just had a tip off about a suspicious canister set to go off at midnight. A poisonous gas, harmless to humans but deadly to plants would destroy the Botanic Gardens. He needs help, fast and only you have the skills to unravel the clues to disarm the device! Can you save the day?
- This trail is one of two Botanic Gardens circular PuzzleTrails, focusing on the northern end
- Your 3km PuzzleTrail starts and ends at the Botanic Garden's "Opera House Gate" (a smaller gate to the right of the main QEII Gate) near the Sydney Opera House. Allow at least 2hrs for your clue hunting.
- It takes you from the Opera House, via stunning harbour views to the historic Mrs. Macquarie's Chair, an exposed sandstone rock cut into the shape of a bench, hand carved by convicts from sandstone in 1810 for Governor Macquarie's wife Elizabeth.
- Expansive lawns (which you are encouraged to walk on!) great harbour views and many shady trees mean you can pick your own special spot for a picnic or even take a ball or Frisbee! Just don’t feed the birds, or you might have more lunch guests than desired!
- Pass under limbs of giant fig trees and uncover statues in the exotic Oriental Gardens.
- Search for the eels under massive leaves in the Lily Pond!
- Feel the history at Fleet Steps.
- Then for added amusement, search for clues, cracking the secret code and thwarting a dastardly plot!!
- Closest train/ferry/bus stop is Circular Quay with a 5 min walk along Bennelong to the Opera House. It is also walkable from Wynyard Train station. (see https://transportnsw.info/ for timetables)
- There are plenty of city carparks (google Wilson Parking for online deals)
- Sydney CBD also has free street parking on Sundays.
- Wheelchairs and strollers are welcome, there are a few grassy banks to navigate and a few spots where a slope is offered as an alternative to steps
- Garden rules prohibit bringing in ‘non-service’ animals
- Further info on RBG opening times, maps and events on the day, see www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au
- Why not also explore the Sydney Opera House: Entry to the foyer is free, or you can choose an official tour from their booking office.
- Remember “Slip, Slop, Slap” ...and have lots of fun!!
- Instantly downloadable booklet ready to be printed.
- Contains everything needed to complete the trail and find all the clues
- Provides info on how to get there, including facilities found en-route.
- Miss one? Simply retrace your steps or if really stuck follow the SMS instructions in your booklet to get some hints!
- Each clue will help you fill in the answer grid. Fill the whole grid and follow the instructions to crack the secret code required to outwit the bad guys and save the day!
- Check out our Trail previews on www.puzzletrails.com.au
- Most importantly, don’t forget to take your camera to capture the stunning views!