Sydney Harbour: A Fort with many Names
The old parchment revealed a quote from a mysterious early explorer. Can you use your detective skills to unravel who it was and when they said it?
- This trail has no 'route' as such, instead, your downloaded PuzzleTrail booklet and clues will have you checking out the various rooms and corners of the grounds looking for hidden details that you might otherwise not stop to see.
- The island is too small to get lost and all required amenities are easily to hand.
- See the working Tide Gauge from which Sydney's tidal benchmark is recorded.
- Appreciate stunning harbour views, wander around the island, read about the island's varied history in its colonial Museum buildings
- Tour the working cannon and gun powder store in Australia’s only Martello Tower (optional as Natl Park's charge extra for this tour)
- Relax in the waterside restaurant, which serves brunch and other meals (at busy times booking ahead is required)
- Note: Fort Denison is a National Park and requires a $7 p/p landing fee which is added to your ferry ticket price.
- Matilda, Captain Cook Cruises and Sydney Hop on Hop off (SHOHO) provide access to the island. They are private services so Opal Cards and Family Fun Day concession prices do not apply and the cost to visit this island can be a little hefty! Seeing this island as part of a broader SHOHO day out may make the fee feel more value for money
- Several island tours are also offered (http://www.fortdenison.com.au) but you are not obliged to book this in order to visit the island
- A ferry ticket, a picnic lunch to eat on the large grass covered roof and your PuzzleTrail is perfectly sufficient for a fabulous family day!
- Wheelchairs are not to be taken on the island, due to the wave, wharf, cobbles and steps
- Strollers are not expressly forbidden, but could be challenging for the same reasons, so should only be considered by the adventurous family with several pairs of helping hands available
- Remember “Slip, Slop, Slap” ...and have lots of fun!!